A French researcher found a relatively serious crash bug in iOS that locks your phone, and may keep it out of commission until it reboots. Though not the worst flaw in the world, dedicated attackers could repeatedly abuse this issue to launch a denial of service DoS attack on iPhones and iPads.
The good news is, Apple also released a bunch of security updates this week, including one that fixes this iOS issue and even more serious ones. Watch the video below to learn more about the iOS crash bug, and about all of Apple’s latest patches.
Episode Runtime: 2:18
Direct YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSzIy8KxCdA
- Researchers blog post on the iOS crash bug – Vincentdes3
- History of the iOS bug – Vincentdes3
- YouTuber’s video on the iOS crash bug – YouTube
- Exploit samples – Preston159
- Apple’s security page with January’s updates – Apple
- iOS 10.2.1 security update – Apple
— Corey Nachreiner, CISSP (@SecAdept)
Leave a Reply