Remember the WannaCry guy? A few month ago, when the infectious ransomworm was assailing European businesses, a lone researcher found its killswitch and used it to stop WannaCry’s spread. Marcus Hutchins, who goes by @MalwareTech on Twitter, was regaled as a hero for his actions to slow WannaCry. That’s why it was so surprising to hear that the FBI detained and arrested this researcher after the DEF CON security conference. Turns out they suspect him of taking part in the creation of the Kronos banking malware. Watch today’s Byte to learn more about this strange incident.
Episode Runtime: 3:12
Direct YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGRUM0JlrmQ
- WannaCry “savior” detained by FBI after DEF CON – Motherboard
- Did the WannaCry savior write banking malware? – Wired
- Briton security researcher arrested after DEF CON – The Guardian
- Hutchins asking about Kronos in a past tweet – Twitter
- Kronos banking malware converted for POS attacks – ProofPoint