Yesterday, I mentioned that experts weren’t sure how Petya 2.0 first originated. Some experts claimed it arrived in emails exploiting an Office flaw, but not all of them agreed. Today’s video covers new evidence that suggests Ukrainian accounting software may have been involved in this latest ransomworm’s spread. The accused company denies the connection, but Microsoft shared some compelling evidence otherwise. Watch below to learn more, and follow the references for more details.
Episode Runtime: 5:05
Direct YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi6otvEiID0
- Microsoft’s excellent technical blog post on Petya 2.0, and alleged source – Microsoft
- Did Petya 2.0 originate from Ukrainian accounting software? – Bleeping Computer
- MEDoc’s Facebook denial about NotPetya – Facebook
- Our written Secplicity post on Petya 2.0 – Secplicity
- Our original Daily Security Byte on Petya 2.0 – Secplicity