Handbrake is a popular and free video transcoder that many Mac lovers use. Unfortunately, if you downloaded Handbrake in the last week or so, you may have infected your Mac with malware. In today’s video, I warn you how some official Handbrake distribution servers are spreading the OS X remote access trojan (RAT) called OSX.Proton. Watch to learn how to check for infections, and how to avoid this sort of issue in the future.
Episode Runtime: 2:19
Direct YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S66QD7Jo748
- Supply chain attack targets Handbrake on Mac – Computer World
- Hacker’s compromise Handbrake mirror server – Tom’s Hardware
- Handbrake’s warning post on hacked mirror server – Handbrake.fr
- Blog post on the malware that was added to Handbrake, OSX.Proton – Cyber Sixgill
- Whitepaper about OSX.Proton [PDF] – Cyber Six Gill