Last week, researchers posted an official page for the Linux Dirty COW kernel elevation of privilege vulnerability. This new flaw affects many versions of the Linux kernel, and allows a local unprivileged attacker to gain root on your systems. Unfortunately, a researcher discovered attackers exploiting this flaw in the wild, so it’s important you patch soon. Furthermore, other researchers have more recently found that the flaw affect Android devices as well. To learn more, watch our video below, and check the reference section for links to patches.
Episode Runtime: 3:02
Direct YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv0MeTK8uMU
- Official Dirty COW vulnerability page – DirtyCOW
- Dirty COW PoC and link to patches – Github
- Dirty COW vulnerability exploited in the wild – The Hacker News
- Android also suffers from Dirty Cow – Ars Technica
- Dirty COW Android root video – YouTube