WatchGuard is gearing up for one of the most exciting security events of the year, Black Hat USA. We have two booths at the show, one offering participation in a ransomware research project, and the other provides a place to relax, get some popcorn and play some old-school arcade games. Please stop by both – we’re looking forward to seeing you there!
Booth #973: Bring your crypto-ransomware sample
Booth #973 should be your first stop in the Exhibit Hall. We are working on a research project to detect and prevent ransomware, and we’re looking for your help! Bring us a crypto ransomware sample that meets the criteria below to help to test your code, and our technology. If your sample gets past our detection, you’ll earn a prize. Also, be sure to ask for an arcade ticket before heading over to our other booth, #1453!
Ransomware sample criteria:
Our research project is specifically designed to catch crypto-ransomware, or ransomware that encrypts files on a victim’s local computer. Following are the sample criteria requirements. If you have any questions, please email us at [[email protected]]:
- It must be a Windows malware sample
- The ransomware must encrypt a number of files within the default Windows Documents directory
- The malware must establish persistence, and restart after a reboot
- The malware must change the background and leave a text file note, to inform the user of the encrypted files
- The malware must not damage the underlying usability of the operating system (a victim needs to still be able to use the system to pay a ransom)
- The sample must have some mechanism to call home, and share the new victim identity with the attacker
Booth #1453: The Arcade
Tickets? Why would you need a ticket? We don’t know about you, but we were really tired of having a standard vendor booth. We turned Black Hat booth #1453 into our very own WatchGuard Arcade. What will we have there? Great question.
- Giant claw machine filled with a variety of prizes including, WatchGuard lions AND Funko Pop Vinyl collectibles
- Old school Donkey Kong arcade machine
- Custom made WatchGuard edition of the popular app CrossyRoad
- Fresh popped popcorn
- Ice cold red bulls WITH a koozie
I know what you’re thinking, “No way WatchGuard is going to set up a booth filled with fun, games, and snacks without making me listen to their pitch.” Actually, that’s exactly what we’re doing. If you want a demo, we want to give you one. If not, that’s ok. Like I said, we want this to be the best Black Hat yet. And we think, it will be.
Leave a Reply