Antivirus companies have found incomplete versions of Mac ransomware, researchers have created proof-of-concept (PoC) variants to demonstrate the possibility, and criminals have experimented with ineffective web-based “policeware” for Macs, but we’ve not seen Cryptolocker-level ransomware targeting Macs in the wild… that is until now. Watch today’s Security Byte video to learn more about the new KeRanger ransomware, and how to defend yourself against it.
(Episode Runtime: 4:42)
Direct YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wPy8GaX10g
- Researcher’s post on ransomware in OS X Transmission installer – Palo Alto Networks
- Reuters article on Apple Ransomware – Reuters
- Article about KeRanger and past Mac ransomware – Digital Trends
- Transmission’s site with ransomware alert – TransmissionBT
- Updates on how the Transmission hack happened – MacRumors