Ransomware has become a very serious threat online, and I suspect it will continue to evolve and get worse in 2016. Today’s video covers one such evolution—a Linux-based variant affecting web servers. Luckily, this ransomware story has a happy ending. Click play to learn more.
(Episode Runtime: 2:24)
Direct YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4RpG0n4olw
- Linux ransomware targets web servers – Extreme Tech
- Dr. Web’s Linux.encoder.1 write-up – Dr. Web
- How to defeat Linux.encoder.1 – ZDNet
- Bitdefender cracks attackers bad encryption – BitDefender
- Download Bitdefender’s decrypter [ZIP] – BitDefender
— Corey Nachreiner, CISSP (@SecAdept)
So… is it Magneto, or Magento?
Corey Nachreiner says
Ack! Good catch Dzmitry. It is DEFINITELY Magento, not “Magneto.” I’m afraid that is my “comic book nerd” sneaking out of my brain. Not much I can do to change the audio now, but good catch!
Hah, I see. Arguably, Magneto is quite cooler than Magento, no offense to their services. If it’s any consolation, Extreme Tech article refers to it as Magneto as well…