Georgian Botnets, Mac Trojans, and Carberp… Oh My.
I saw so many interesting security stories this week that it was hard to decide which ones to choose for the episode, while still keeping it short. So instead, I concentrated on two themes: interesting new malware and positive security stories. If you’d like to hear about botnets that steal RDP configs, sneaky Mac malware, cybercriminal arrests, and more, check out WatchGuard Security Week in Review below.
If you’d prefer to read rather than watch or listen, the Episode Reference guide at the bottom of this post links to articles on these stories.
With such a security news-filled week, today’s episode was at risk of running long. So I had to whack a few stories. However, I did want to share a free security tool recommendation (since some viewers liked this idea). If you’d like to hear about a free tool that will help keep your PC up to date, be sure to keep watching after the credits. (Core Episode Runtime: 9:52. Optional 2 minute extra at the end)
Direct YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0zd3WYTjws
- Malware highlights from the week:
- Securelist blog post on “fileless” malware – Securelist
- ESET blog post on Georbot – ESET Blog
- Imuler variant masquerades as supermodel picture – The Mac Security Blog
- Mass Effect 3 alternate ending phishing scam – GFI Labs Blog
- Russian Carberp malware gang arrested – Help Net Security
- FCC gets ISP to commit to protecting security – Infoworld Security Central
- EXTRA: I recommend you try Secunia’s free security tool, PSI.
— Corey Nachreiner, CISSP (@SecAdept)
Leave a Reply