Simplified Email Encryption, Enhanced Protection from Malware, and Extended Web Security with HTTPS Traffic Scanning
October 26, 2011
As part of our ongoing efforts to improve the effectiveness of WatchGuard XCS appliances to protect from data loss, new viruses and malware, and to enhance HTTPS web security, WatchGuard is pleased to announce the availability of XCS 9.2 Update 1.
Highlights of this maintenance release include:
- Removal of mandatory upload of authorized SecureMail Email Encryption user list to simplify management and administration; the number of users allowed to use SecureMail Email Encryption is based on your license limit.
- “Send SecureMail” Outlook Add-In is now available that allows end users to place an email encryption button in their Outlook toolbar.
- Outlook 2010 Add-In for Spam/Not Spam Reporting is now available; Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007 Add-Ins are also available.
- New Adaptive Intercept Anti-Spam Decision Strategy transparently transitions spam scoring upon successful training of the system.
- Postfix Mail Engine Upgrade to the latest version significantly improves mail processing performance and security.
- Kaspersky Anti-Virus Scanning & Pattern Update Engines have been upgraded to the latest version to provide enhanced protection against the latest virus, spyware, and malware threats.
- Delivery Status Notifications (DSN) is now available with XCS for notification of successful, delayed, or failed message deliveries.
- Configurable From: and Subject: Notification Headers can now be configured for enhanced message tracking and visibility into message processing.
- Global TLS Inbound and Outbound Settings: TLS encryption settings can now be applied globally for both inbound and outbound TLS connections.
- Web Security Expanded With HTTPS Scanning: The XCS Web Security subscription now includes scanning of HTTPS traffic for web-based threats and data loss. The XCS Web Proxy can now perform deep content inspection of encrypted HTTPS traffic using the same scanners as the HTTP proxy, such as Anti-Virus, the Objectionable Content Filters, Reputation Enabled Defense, and Content Scanning. This new functionality allows customers to extend enforcement of data security policies by now scanning HTTP, HTTPS, and FTP web traffic.
Does This Release Pertain to Me?
XCS 9.2 Update 1 is available for download from the WatchGuard Software Downloads section within LiveSecurity. Details regarding this new release are available in the Release Notes. If you have any XCS series appliances or are subscribed to the XCS SecureMail Email Encryption subscription, and wish to take advantage of the new simplified administration and user enhancements, you should consider upgrading to XCS 9.2 Update 1. Please read the Release Notes before you upgrade, to understand what’s involved.
How Do I Get the Release?
If Security Connection is enabled, your XCS appliance will automatically download the XCS 9.2 Update 1 software. However, it will NOT automatically install the update. You must manually install software updates by going to Administration > Software Updates > Updates. You can also manually download the update from our Software Center in the WatchGuard Portal. We highly recommend you thoroughly review the Installation Instructions section of the Release Notes before applying this update.
For a more detailed description of this update, please visit the WatchGuard Support Center at http://www.watchguard.com/support/. If you need support, please enter a support incident online or call our support staff directly. When you contact Technical Support, please have your registered Product Serial Number, LiveSecurity Key, or Partner ID available.
- U.S. End Users: 877.232.3531
- International End Users: +1.206.613.0456
- Authorized WatchGuard Resellers: +1.206.521.8375